Subject: Re: Slow LW 4.0/4.1 for Amiga
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 23:06:41 -0500

Reply:  Item #0370349 from [email-masked]@INET#

I attended the VTU Expo in LA this past November, and heard Allen and
Stuart discuss where LW and Modeler are going. Someone asked the
question why LW rendered slower. They responded that it was simply
the change from Manx to SAS compiler in order to work with the Amiga's
OS. They also said that there is essentially one program, and it is
compiled for each of the platforms. They spend about "20 minutes"
producing the various versions after the main program is completed.
Their statement, not my estimate.

That tells me they switched due to compatibility issues with the
Amiga OS, and the ability to compile the code produced for other
compilers. Also, they don't use Amigas anymore to produce code, they
just compile and test on one. Otherwise they would have to optimize
for the Amiga, and there hasn't been time to do this. They did agree
to recompile if a better compiler becomes available.

They also discussed the 3.1 issue. NewTek refused to address Amiga OS
3.1 because it was not a Commodore official release. They had no
guarantee that 3.1 complied with all requirements, or would work in
all existing machines with NewTek hardware and software. They didn't
want to expose themselves to the possibility of errors/crashes from
3.1 incompatibility. If there was problems, who would they go to to
address correction? Commodore was gone, and AT wasn't ready to deal
with the OS yet. It may work fine, but they won't assist you if you
use it and have problems. They will have to recognize it soon though,
as it appears in the new AT machines.

Let's hope the speed issue gets addressed real soon. It is a road
block that will halt sales in the near future. This may result in
NewTek stopping further Amiga development. :(

JF